Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Letter to Jack


Christmas 2012
Elk Grove, CA

Dear Jack of Noble Birth:

I know I call you Cap’n Jack, but I don’t want you to forget that you are really Jack Richard Niu of Noble Birth.

Two years ago, when Uncle Joey and Aunt Julie got married in Oregon, your Mom and Dad came to Oregon and told us that they were going to have a baby.  They were very excited for you to come to them, and we were also excited.  As the months went by, your Mom’s tummy got nice and big, until it was hard for her even to walk.  Then on August 22, 2011 (your birthday!) you were born.  We lived in California, so Grandma Hogge drove to Utah to be there for your birth and to help your Mom take care of you for a few days.

I didn’t get to see you when you were born, so I was very happy when we got to come to Utah a couple months later.  You were still skinny and little, but you were eating well and growing.  It was fun to see my first grandson!

You are one year old now, and Christmas is coming – a great time of year.  Some day you will recognize that even a slight glance toward Jesus on the part of so many people in the world (even as they focus on the commercial elements of the season) brings a brighter, happier, more generous tone to the holidays.  I love Christmas because it is a shadow of what it would be like if all the world thought more about Jesus.

You have been given a family name – Jack Richard from your Dad’s maternal grandfather and Niu from your Dad’s paternal line.  They are both names of honor and tradition.  I hope that you will learn that tradition and honor it.

There is, however, another name that I would also have you known by.  There’s a story about that name:

Righteous King Benjamin was getting old and knew it was time to make his son Mosiah the new king.  But before he died, he wanted to speak to his people.  So he asked Mosiah to invite all of the people to the temple, where King Benjamin would speak to them from a tower.  He invited the people because he wanted to give them a name that would show that they kept the commandments.  They would always be able to keep this name if they continued to obey God.  Mosiah obeyed his father and invited all the people to come hear King Benjamin at the temple.

The people loved King Benjamin because he was a good and fair king.  They loved him so much that a huge crowd showed up at the temple to hear King Benjamin.  When they got to the temple, the people thanked Heavenly Father that there was peace in the land and that they had leaders who taught them to keep the commandments of God.  They were happy because they loved God and each other.

King Benjamin got up on the tower and taught his people.  He told them to always serve Heavenly Father.  And he taught them that Jesus Christ would come to pay for their sins.  (Jesus had not been born yet.)  King Benjamin warned them that they would suffer if they did not repent of their sins and have faith in Jesus.  And he asked them to take care of each other, especially the poor.  He wanted them always to be good and try not to ever be bad.

When King Benjamin ended his talk, his people all promised to obey God and be good for the rest of their lives.  This made King Benjamin very happy.  It was the promise he wanted them to make. 

King Benjamin said that, because they made this important promise, they would be known as the children of Christ.  Jesus Christ would be called their father because he would make it possible for them to return to live with Heavenly Father.  There is no other way to return to Heavenly Father, only by making this promise to Jesus Christ that we will obey him for the rest of our lives.

So that is the name that I want to make the most important name in my life, the name of Jesus Christ.  And more than anything, Jack, I want you to also make and keep that promise to obey Jesus for the rest of your life.

Never forget that name.  If we both make and keep that promise, we can return together to live with Heavenly Father.  I will still be your Grandpa, and you will still be my beloved Grandson.

Someday, you will also have the chance to be a king – a righteous and loving king like King Benjamin.  And you will make a great king.

You are very blessed that your Mom and Dad have made the promise to obey Jesus and are very good at keeping that promise.  They will always teach you what you need to know.  They will teach you to love Jesus.  They will show you how to follow Him.  They will even help you understand how to repent when you make a mistake.  And I will pray for you and try to help you too.

Someday, you will be a missionary for Jesus’s church.  As you serve, I will ask Heavenly Father to watch over you.

You will have many opportunities in your life to love your family, and you will have many opportunities to make new promises to Jesus.

I want you to grow up strong in body and spirit and become more than I can ever be.  And I will continue to watch over you and pray that you will always be safe and happy.

Even when I am gone, when I go to the next life, I will continue to watch over you and, yes, even help you.  It is what we do because we are a family, and that will not end just because we have passed on from this life.  We are each other’s, and we are the Lord’s.

Jack of Noble Birth, let us remember Jesus.  And let us be known by His name.  If you do, you will make this old Grandpa very happy.

Love, Grandpa Hogge

No comments: